Monday, January 26, 2015

Back to my heritage? Uh no.

The reason for the title is because we've arrived in Beaumont, Texas.  Beaumont was my mother's maiden name.  My grandfather came from England, but I suppose the name is from the Norman invasion.  I haven't worked things back that far yet!  And I don't think my grandfather's family was ever in Texas.



In any case, we left New Orleans this morning, travelling along I-10.  Almost the whole highway through Louisiana is a bridge, or so it seems.  There is nothing but water and swamp.  I sure wouldn't want to run off the road.

Bridge
 Swamp

This bridge is a little more elaborate because it goes over the Mississippi River.  For the first time travelling on the road, we are west of the Mississippi.  A milestone.

Bridge
 
River

We arrived in Texas around 3 p.m. this afternoon and stopped at the Visitors Center (sp. - that's how they do it here - sigh).


I wasn't thrilled with this sign.  Yikes!  We're definitely keeping our RV closed up while here.


 Beaumont is a one-night stop on our way to San Antonio where we'll spend 3 nights.

What's really ironic here is I took this picture to show "Beaumont" in the sign (because of what I said above).  When we stopped at the travel center (sp.) we picked up a guide called "State Travel Guide - Texas".  On the index page is EXACTLY the same sign.  By the way, we are going as far as El Paso, and then some.  It's pretty much on the western boundary with New Mexico.  That's a llllloooonnnnggggg way.





No comments:

Post a Comment